M.S. in Tropical Conservation Biology and Environmental Science

Funding Opportunities

Please note:

If you wish to apply for funding opportunities, you need to apply as a completely separate process from the online application to the TCBES program at UH Hilo. Positions will be posted to the NEOGOV website but are not yet available.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Assistantships are offered to prospective and current Master's students within the Tropical Conservation Biology and Environmental Sciences (TCBES) program at UH Hilo. In return for Graduate Assistants teaching or assisting programs in the department to which the candidate will be assigned, Graduate Assistants receive a monthly salary and full tuition remission (not including student fees). Graduate Assistants will be given 1-year terms and will be required to reapply to renew for a second year. Priority will be given to students in their 1st and 2nd year of the TCBES program.

Renewals will be based on satisfactory performance. At the end of each semester, GAs in the TCBES Graduate Program will be evaluated by the GA mentors (people who they worked with to teach classes and/or facilitate the running of the TCBES Graduate Program) and also conduct a self evaluation of their performance. These evaluations will be reviewed by the TCBES Executive Committee for consideration for reappointment in the next academic year. The Executive Committee will determine if the student 1) meets expectations of being a GA, and 2) is in good standing with the TCBES program according to the TCBES Professional Conduct Policy to be reappointed. If the student does not meet these two criteria, they will not be reappointed for a second year.

Reappointment decisions will be made initially after the Fall semester evaluations, to meet the Admissions Committee process for selection of the next year’s GAs. If the Spring semester evaluation shows that the student does not meet the two criteria, and efforts to ameliorate problems have been unsuccessful, the GA reappointment will not be offered. Generally, GA reappointment letters go out by March-May. The TCBES Executive Committee will vote on each student and provide a list of students for reappointment to the Dean of the College of Natural and Health Sciences.

Applications for Fall 2022 Graduate Assistantships are now closed. Here's the link to the past job description so that you can see the requirements NEOGOV website.


Hau‘oli Mau Loa Foundation Graduate Fellowship

The Hau‘oli Mau Loa Foundation and the Tropical Conservation Biology and Environmental Science (TCBES) Graduate Program at the University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo are pleased to announce the availability of three graduate assistantships for students dedicated to careers in conservation biology and environmental science in the state of Hawaiʻi. In addition, UH Hilo is part of the Environment Leadership Pathways that is a major focus of the Hau‘oli Mau Loa Foundation.

The following eligibility criteria apply:

  1. good academic standing (minimum GPA of 3.0 throughout the fellowship)
  2. from Hawaiʻi, as evidenced by having graduated from a high school in Hawaiʻi
  3. pursuing a M.S. degree in TCBES
  4. track record of supporting Hawaiʻi’s environment (e.g., internships, volunteer opportunities) and serving in a leadership capacity or demonstrated leadership potential (academic, athletic, extracurricular, and/or professional)
  5. commitment to attaining and pursuing a long term career in conservation biology and environmental science in Hawaiʻi.

Applications for Fall 2022 are now closed. Here's the link to the past job description so that you can see the requirements NEOGOV website.


Other Funding Opportunities

Hawaiʻi Community Foundation offers annual scholarship opportunities for students.

The University of Hawaiʻi System awards a variety of scholarships annually to registered UH students.

Need other options? Below are compiled lists of funding opportunities put together by previous cohorts.

UH Hilo Financial Aid Office

The UH Financial Aid Office can assist with specific financial aid questions.