Apply to TCBES!
Criteria for Admission:
Acceptance is granted at the discretion of the Admissions Committee based on the six criteria listed below. An applicant must:
- have earned a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution or from a nationally recognized foreign institution.
- have stated interest in the Thesis or Professional Internship track as part of the personal statement. If Thesis Track, the applicant must list advisor(s) from the TCBES faculty who agrees to sponsor the application and to serve as primary advisor upon acceptance to the program. Professional Internship track students are not required to get sponsorship from an advisor.
- have a grade point average of 3.0 (4.0 = A scale) or the equivalent in the last four semesters of approximately 60 semester credits of undergraduate and/or in all post-baccalaureate work.
- submit three letters of recommendation from references who have observed or supervised the applicant’s performance and are able to comment on the quality of the applicant’s academic achievement, ability to pursue graduate study, and general character.
- earn a score of 550 TOEFL (paper based), 213 (computer based) or 79 (internet based), or 6.0 IELTS (for students who have not attended an English language university, or for whom English is not the primary language).
Transfer of Credits: Requests for transfer of graduate credits must be made during the first semester in which the student is enrolled in the program. Only credit hours with a grade of B or better from accredited universities are transferable. Transfer credit hours must have been completed within five years preceding the date upon which the advanced degree is to be conferred by UH Hilo, and must not have been used to satisfy requirements for another degree. The TCBES program will decide which credits will be transferred.
MS TCBES Application Checklist
- UH Hilo Graduate application form
- Application fee, $50
- Personal statement of objectives
- Three professional or academic letters of recommendation
- Official transcripts from all colleges or universities (must be received in a sealed envelope)
- Baccalaureate degree transcripts from international institutions must be submitted to a transcript evaluation service
- Have received confirmation of TCBES faculty sponsorship if Thesis Track
For International applicants:
- Official TOEFL score report, if required - International Graduate Student Supplemental Information Form
Priority deadline for receipt of all application materials to the Graduate Division: December 1
Download the checklist to make sure you submit all the required documents.
Additional information on the program can be found in the course catalog.
There are several funding opportunities, BUT PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU NEED TO APPLY FOR THESE SEPARATELY, IN ADDITION TO YOUR TCBES APPLICATION. Visit Funding Opportunities for a comprehensive list of funding options to support your graduate studies at UH Hilo.